At Christ Church North Finchley, we are committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults. We adhere to the London Diocese Safeguarding Policy which is contained in ‘Promoting a Safer Diocese’ (2018) and further guidance can be sought from the National Church’s Safeguarding Policies and Practice Guidance. Our CSO, vicar and PCC refer to the National Church’s Parish Safeguarding Handbook for advice on responding to concerns.
PCC SAFEGUARDING POLICY STATEMENT
Christ Church North Finchley
Every person has a value and dignity which comes directly from the creation of male and female in God’s own image and likeness. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. This implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm. We accept and endorse the principles set out in the House of Bishops ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ safeguarding policy and practice guidance to;
- Commit to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members.
- Enable and ensure safe recruitment practice, and support all those within the Church with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults.
- Respond promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Offer pastoral care to victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Offer pastoral care to those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Respond to those who may pose a present risk to others.
- Recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church community.
Vicar - David Walker
Safeguarding Officer - Sarah Afuwape
Children's Champion - Kathryn Turl
The Vicar has overall responsibility for everything within Christ Church. The Safeguarding Officer is the first person to speak to if you have any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult. The Children’s Champion is an advocate for all children in all areas of church life, making sure their views are heard and their needs are thought of.
CCPAS (The Churches' Child Protection Advisory Service) 24-hour Helpline on 0845 120 4550
Childline: 0800 1111
Parentline: 0808 800 2222
Barnet Council Children’s Services / Adult Social Care: 0208 359 4066
In an emergency please call emergency services: 999